Friday, March 30, 2012

Biosphere 2 interesting?

Is Biosphere 2 interesting to go and see?



thanks



Biosphere 2 interesting?


I have been there 3 or 4 times, the first being when the people were locked inside. To me it was VERY interesting. My mother, who has visited Arizona several times, thought it was the highlight of one of her trips. I really need to go there again, since now I understand tourists can actually go inside the biosphere.





But be aware, there is a lot of walking.



Biosphere 2 interesting?


I actually really enjoyed it too. It%26#39;s a pretty big campus, and there%26#39;s lots to see. It used to be a little more free than it is now, I think, meaning that you could just sort of wander in and out of the buildings, while I think that, now, you have to follow a guide. But I%26#39;ve heard others complain about how boring it is.



Beware of the costs though. It was pretty pricey for a while.




We just got back from a trip to Tucson where we visited Biosphere 2. Contrary to a lot of the comments on the forum, my wife, the 14 year old, and I all thought it was the highlight of our trip (along with Karchner Caverns).





It%26#39;s clear that the owners are still stumbling around trying to figure out what do with the thing--the experiments are kind of like the space station, in that some are high tech and others are just high school.





But the project itself is both a fascinating look at a semi-failed effort to keep 9 people alive in a virtually self-contained environment, and a glimpse at how some big issues such as global warming can be modeled at a human scale. Frankly, I%26#39;m surprised that there aren%26#39;t ten of these things around the world being intensively used for research.





The buildings are huge, and visually stunning. All in all, a little bit of science fiction south of Tucson.




About 2 months ago, we took our 2 boys (8 and 11) to visit Biosphere 2. We all enjoyed the tour--we thought the ';lung'; was especially interesting.





If you buy a Tucson Attractions Passport book (visittucson.org/visitor/attractions/passport/), you can get 2 for 1 admission.





azislandgirl




';south of Tucson.'; Bio 2 is near Oracle north of Tucson

No comments:

Post a Comment