Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Hiking poles

We are planning to hike to the Ooh-Aah Point and possibly down part of the Bright Angel Trail. We will also be in Sedona and hopefully hike the West Fork Oak Creek Trail.





We have wooden (hickory) hiking poles, however, we would like ones that fold and will pack away easily in our suitcase.





Which brand would you recommend? These poles will not be used a lot, but I do want something that we can depend on.



Hiking poles


I believe that I found my answer. We can rent the poles at the GC at the Market Place. I will look further for information for Sedona.



Hiking poles


Ha, I%26#39;m thinking about buying them online now and bring to GC. Amazon has a variety of them range from %26lt;$10.00 to $25.





I think the rental fee is about $9 if I remember correctly.




You won%26#39;t need the hiking poles in Sedona. West Fork is an easy walk along the creek side with litle elevation change.




RedRox, thanks for letting me know that we will not need the poles in Sedona. That%26#39;s a relief.





Ykh, I called and spoke with someone at the Market Place, and they gave me a rate of $2/day for the hiking poles. They said that they rented the Leki brand.






cottonTennessee,





Thanks for the confirmation on the rental fee. For $2, I will rent instead of buying one since I don%26#39;t use it often enough.




I%26#39;m glad that I was able to help. And, I hope that you have a great time at the GC and in Sedona!





Dianne




Dianne,





Thanks! I hope you have fun in GC and Sedona too! I think our trips are kinda of similar in terms of destinations, time spend and etc:)




We were glad we had ours at West Fork of Oak Creek! Kept us from slipping in the creek at least once.



You can sometimes get collapsible poles for $10 at WalMart. We got our most recent one at Big 5 in Tempe. I have to say I love my $50 one from REI. It has a spring that really saves my knees.




Hi MaraianReader,





What time of year were you in Sedona? We both have water proof hiking boots (7';) and feel that will help us should we slip into Oak Creek.




I got mine on eBay for $15 and I was glad to have two of them on some of the uneven, rocky trails we did. I had no pain after many hours of hiking each day. My knees were a bit wobbly, but they didn%26#39;t hurt!





I use them now that it%26#39;s mud season for walking the dog in the woods. I used to slide off the trail on the ice or in the mud and come home slimy after falling down, but now, I have sure footing wherever I find myself!





They also can be loaned out to friends. Mine are very excited that I got a set......





If you go for it, be sure that they are adjustable heightwise, so that you can move them up and down. The angle of your climb will determine how long you want them to be.





And they must have springs, because that is what will help ease the pressure on your knees and ankles. Mine also have removable rubber tips over spikes, so that you can use them on ice and hard- packed snow.





I hope that you have a great trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment