Friday, March 30, 2012

Traveling on the Southwest Chief from Chicago to Flagstaff

Hi everyone I am planning on traveling to Flagstaff, Arizona through amtrak%26#39;s southwest chief this June. I am planning on getting 3 roomettes for my family of 6 but I noticed for my family to all go it would probably cost like 4000.00. I think it would be a great oppurtunity for my family to see America but its really expensive. I was wondering if anyone knows about where I can get the best deal. Should I book through amtrak or is there a better site to go through? Thanks!

Traveling on the Southwest Chief from Chicago to Flagstaff

It would be an interesting way to see the country but its not cheap anymore. And to be honest with you it would be a lot cheaper to drive through the states and experience the stops along the way. And you can do it for WAY cheap. Some times they will have amtrak specials but as far as I know there is really no other train system. And for a family of 6 it as you said will be costly. I would call amtrak and see if they offer any family deal. Some times they don%26#39;t post things on their website.

Traveling on the Southwest Chief from Chicago to Flagstaff

DFL knows the travel industry as well as anyone. She%26#39;s right, in spite of all the government subsidies, traveling on Amtrak is still very expensive. And while it would be a cool and nostalgic way to travel to the southwest, like Rt 66, it just ain%26#39;t what it used to be. Like the motels and diners that made Rt 66 what it was and are now gone, the train stops and support system along the railroad is all but gone too. The historic La Posada Hotel in Winslow is one of the few great rail stations that has been preserved and restored to attempt to capture the spirit of what the rail travelers had waiting for them as they arrived at their stops along the way. The Harvey Girls are a thing of the past, and you can see them in the movie, but otherwise, it%26#39;s just not the same anymore.

That said, the beauty of the southwest remains, and it is still some of the best scenery in the USA. And you can see it all by car, and for a lot less money than you would need to spend on a train trip.


Is this a family of 6 adults or some kids? Also, with AAA you may get a discount.

I would call Amtrak to see what they can do. You may be able to get a family bedroom that fits 4 and a roomette for 2.

We enjoyed our trip from Santa Fe to California!

  • server
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment