Friday, March 30, 2012

One night stop over to LA

Hi,



We are travelling from Grand Canyon to LA, we would probably be better stopping overnight on the way. Is Scottsdale ideal? Where is best place (area ) so it is not out of our way?



Any suggestions would be really appreciated





Thanks Lisa x



One night stop over to LA


Hi Lisa,





The most direct route from Grand Canyon to LA will be along I-40, not I-17 to I-10. Do you want to visit Scottsdale in particular? It will be out of your way, but would make a nice change for you. I%26#39;d suggest staying near Old Town Scottsdale as it has the most charm. Let us know what time of year and budget and we can give you some hotel ideas.



One night stop over to LA


We will stop anywhere direct, so if it is a bit out the way then I would prefer somewhere en route. PLease give me some ideas, we basically want a room for the night basic,clean and as cheap as possible. Meal out, bed and breakfast, that%26#39;s it really.





Cheers x




Oh it will be August this year





xx




The half way point would be around Needles CA, or if you get away late from the Canyon you could stay in Kingman. Since I%26#39;m not familiar with either of those try posting on AZ or CA forums for some ideas. One thing I do know is it will be hot in August :-)




I-40 west to I-15 south is the most direct route. Kingman, Needles, Barstow are the three towns that you could stop overnight. All have many basic decent hotels and motels, something like Day%26#39;s Inn or Best Western. I%26#39;ve driven this route many many times and rarely make reservations. Occasionally I get a surprise when there is an event in town like an antique car rally. You might pick up a hotel/motel coupon booklet in a rest area or coffee shop along the way. And yes, it will be a very hot drive. Make sure the air conditioner works in your car and bring and drink plenty of water. Buy gasoline in Arizona before you cross the border to California if you want cheaper prices. It%26#39;s an easy, all highway desert drive until you reach the greater metropolitan area of Los Angeles. Then....traffic!




Many people make this drive in one day. It takes about 8 hours.




Awww, thanks guys for helping me out. You have given me loads of info to go off.



So it can be done in about 8 hours?? That is do--able I suppose. That was going to be my next question but you have saved me asking it, plus it saves a night



Thanks again.



xx




Just to help you confirm your decision...I live in Southern California, vacation in AZ every year and have made all of these various trips several times. Definately drive straight through if you are up to it. I would never suggest anyone spend the night in Needles or Barstow, maybe Kingman. But I would hate for your first night%26#39;s stay in California be in one of the least appealing cities in the State. Needles makes Hell look like a nice place to stay, especially in August. And Barstow%26#39;s claim to fame is it%26#39;s where our Marine%26#39;s store all of their munitions. PLEASE, drive straight through.




Stuckintraffic,





I am going to follow your advice and do the full trip. Early get up methinks!! Thankyou.





I will imagine it as being a Scotland- Highland to Lands End adventure with heat! (that would be about the same length of time)

No comments:

Post a Comment