Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Hotel or B&B?

My husband and I are going to be in Sedona for 2 nights next week...I have stalled on booking a hotel b/c I cannot decide.





I am usually not a B%26amp;B person, but I am told that is the way to go in Sedona. ANy thoughts on Amara, Rouge or L%26#39;Auberge vs. a B%26amp;B?? I hear construction could be a problem for Amara and L%26#39;Auberge and from posts it seems Rouge is not in as good of a location...any thoughts?





Also, there seem to be so many B%26amp;B%26#39;s - how should I decide? I would prefer to stay under $250/night and my most important concern is cleanliness. We would also like views of the rocks of course (or at least an outdoor area to view them in the evening) and preferably walkable to town, though we will have a car.





I appreciate any help/ advice. Thanks!



Hotel or B%26amp;B?


B%26amp;Bs vs. hotels is a very personal thing - people seem to either love B%26amp;Bs or prefer not to stay in them. It all depends on what amenities you%26#39;re looking for.





Construction at L%26#39;Auberge would definitely be an issue, and possibly for Amara as well. Maybe RedRox can answer that more specifically.





Sedona Rouge isn%26#39;t THAT far from uptown, and unless you actually stay in uptown, most people drive there anyhow. Rouge is nice, the rooms have gorgeous decor, but I think many of them don%26#39;t have views of the red rocks. I could be wrong, but the ground floor rooms that we looked at had views of nothing, literally. The patio walls are very high and the patios are somewhat landscaped, but it just felt closed in to me. The rooms on the second floor would probably be better, but I think some of them face the parking lots. Other rooms, especially on the back (north?) side, and the spa rooms, do have views of the red rocks; I don%26#39;t know if there%26#39;s a price difference on those rooms or not. We did like the restaurant and bar at Rouge - I think it%26#39;s called Red%26#39;s, appropriately enough. :)





We have also stayed at the Inn on Oak Creek, and we loved it. (It%26#39;s a B%26amp;B.) Their smaller rooms are under $250, and it was spotlessly clean. Some rooms have views of the red rocks and/or the creek, although the cheapest rooms at the front do face the road, and don%26#39;t have balconies. There is a huge patio facing the creek with gorgeous views of everything. Breakfast is delicious. You could walk to uptown from there, but it%26#39;s not especially close - at least 1/2 - 3/4 mile, maybe? We walked from the inn to Tlaquepaque, though, no problem.





As you said, there are tons of other hotels and B%26amp;Bs in Sedona. Peruse some of the past Sedona posts, and you%26#39;ll find lots of recs. Choosing is simply a matter of deciding what amenities are important to you, including location and ambience, and figuring out what you%26#39;re willing to spend. My husband and I love great ambience and views more than anything else; other people couldn%26#39;t care less about that, or about having a good location - they just want a decent bed to sleep in. It%26#39;s all about what would help make your vacation more memorable.



Hotel or B%26amp;B?


This was very helpful...thanks so much, Hummingbird! I%26#39;m looking into the B%26amp;B you mentioned and will post where we end up. Thanks again!!





If anyone else has comments on the L%26#39;Auberge/ Amara construction, Rouge, suggested B%26amp;B%26#39;s, etc., I%26#39;m still researching and appreciate all opinions.




There is no construction in Uptown at this time and none projected at all in the future, so it would not be an issue for Amara or L%26#39;Auberge. or Sedona Rouge. L%26#39;Auberge itself is scheduled for a major renovation, but I%26#39;m not sure if any of that has begun yet.



Normally I would reccommend the Inn on Oak Creek, howver right now that is where the bulk of the SR179 road construction is taking place. They are open and doing business and might even be offering special rates. Other B%26amp;Bs in town would be better choices though right now IMO.



Your choices could be limited. This is spring break season and right now Sedona is enjoying heavy tourist trade. Traffic appears to be up and my friends who drive jeep tours have been called in for extra work. Whatever you decide, you should make your reservations ASAP.




RedRox, someone else posted recently that L%26#39;Auberge was very torn up right now - is that true? Their website says they are supposed to be finished sometime later this year; surely they%26#39;ve started by now. I%26#39;m curious to see it once they are done, anyway.




I haven%26#39;t actually been to L%26#39;Auberge in the last couple of months. It%26#39;s so easy to miss as you drive by from above on the highway. I know that the renovation plan was aggressive, but I%26#39;m sure they would try to maintain the comfort and minimize the annoyance for visitors during the construction project. Sorry I can%26#39;t give you a definitive answer. I would advise anyone who plans to be there to contact the hotel directly for up to date information.

No comments:

Post a Comment