Saturday, March 24, 2012

Drive or Fly to Phoenix from Vegas

We are flying to LAS on May 2, 2009. We have reservations at El Tovar on the following Monday. We wanted to pick up a rental car in Vegas, drive to the Grand Canyon and return to Florida from Phoenix but the car rental rates are outrageous (because we would like to return the car to a different city). I thought about flying from LAS to PHX as the one way flight is $60. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Drive or Fly to Phoenix from Vegas

Its up to you. It will probably cost you about $60 just in gas alone to get to phx. So its more of whats easier for you to manage.

Drive or Fly to Phoenix from Vegas

My parents live in Vegas, I live in Phoenix. After making the round trip drive to visit them twice, I will now ALWAYS fly if I%26#39;m by myself. To me, the only way a drive would be worth it is if you have a car full of people and you%26#39;d be saving that much in airfare.

I don%26#39;t personally like the drive. There are a couple of different routes, but in short you get a windy desert road which some consider challenging, going through the Hoover Dam can be annoying, and it takes about 5.5-6 hours. It wore me out.

In my opinion, it%26#39;s worth it to pay $60 and be there in an hour vs. wasting a day with the above mentioned. I%26#39;ve flown Southwest there twice recently and it%26#39;s a breeze compared to driving.


Do you need to go to Phoenix for some reason? If not, why not fly back to Florida from Las Vegas? Maybe I am missing something, but it doesn%26#39;t seem to make any sense to drive 5-5.5 hours back to Las Vegas from GCNP, then fly to Phoenix.

If you do need to go to Phoenix, try other car rental agencies and check on drop fees. There have occasionally been reports here of no drop fees with some companies.


Recently one of the major airlines - was it Southwest? had a special flight from Vegas to Phoenix for $39. Not sure if it is still happening or if the dates would work - I got the information from Travel Zoo - my favorite place for bargains.


I also always perfer to fly to Vegas instead of drive from Phoenix. However...since you are from out of town, you may really enjoy the drive. It is a pretty drive through the desert. It%26#39;s just for us ';locals'; it gets really old...really fast.


Yeah, I would fly....it%26#39;s just faster.

Some girls and I drove from PHX to LAS just before christmas (in a mini cooper), but it%26#39;s like 5 1/2 to 6 hours on the road and personally, I want to get there as soon as possible and get my VEGAS on!


We like the drive, come down through Wickenberg, which is a cool town. Rental cars are very expensive at Sky Harbor, we come down through LV about every other week from Salt Lake, we love the drive, it%26#39;s almost as much time to make your flight, check your bags, pack your gels and liquids. However, we are driving our own car.


Not sure how many in your party, but it seems to me that flying from LV to PHX and then driving 4 hours back up to the GCNP just to save the rental car transfer fees is a waste of your valuable vacation time. The flight only takes an hour, but with wait time, luggage pick up, car rental shuttle etc, you%26#39;re blowing the whole day.


You%26#39;re right, We will rent a car in Vegas, drive and leave from Phoenix back to Florida. How is Flagstaff to stay overnight?


Flagstaff is OK, but you%26#39;d enjoy Sedona much more.

  • networking
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment