Saturday, April 21, 2012

Confused trip planner

Someone please help. I’m planning 2 week RV trip for my family and I through Arizona, Utah (going on a 3 day houseboat on Lake Powell)and ending in Jackson Hole ,Wy ( Jackson hole was the only way I was going to convince my wife to go) and I’m a little overwhelmed. My original plans were to see Sedona, Grand Canyon, Zion and Bryce but I know that way too much. I’m already knocking out Sedona (I’ve been there already). Do I really need to go to all Bryce, Zion %26amp; Grand Canyon? Is the houseboat on Lake Powell worth it? What part of the Grand Canyon should we stay? And finally how many days should I plan on for each stop. As you can see I’m very confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.



Confused trip planner


Why are you knocking out Sedona and the other parks? What%26#39;s the point of this trip? Give yourself at least a day at each and then move on. But if you skip those places, you%26#39;re skipping the best of what you%26#39;re coming here for. Those are the destinations. The scenery in between is minimal.



Where are you starting from?



Confused trip planner


I was knocking out Sedona because I’ve already been there. My driving itinerary will actually take us right through there so I’ll probably stop for a few hours anyway. As far as the others I thought definitely Grand Canyon and either Bryce or Zion. Do you think I need to do both? How many days in GC do I need? Thanks sooooo much for your help




I just realized you’re from Sedona, that’s why you speak so highly of it. LOL




Bryce and Zion are so incredibly different from each other while being so geographically close. You MUST do both! Plan to see Zion after Page. Then Bryce the next day and hit the road. If you can, I would advise you to drive up scenic Rt 12 from Bryce to Torrey. Then press on toward Jackson Hole. I assume you%26#39;ll be seeing Yellowstone while you%26#39;re up there. If not, you%26#39;ll have to plan yet another trip!



Since you%26#39;ll be pressed for time, I think you can enjoy a taste of the GC in one day (overnight). Hopefully you%26#39;ll get hooked and want to plan another trip in the future to spend more time.




By the way youv%26#39;e been a huge help:





So you think this would work?



Fly into Phx in the AM, Drive to Sedona spend 1 night



Drive to GC spend 2 nights



¾ day in GC, Drive to Lake Powell spend 4 night (1 get there and 3 on the lake)



Drive to Zion spend 1 night



Drive to Bryce spend 1 night



Drive to JH via RT 12 stop in Torry spend 4 nights in JH





13 nights 14 days




Hi Boomer



RR already gave you great advice.



Driving from Torrey to Jackson WY with a RV may take 10 hours so it hardly can be done on a day drive and if you want to visit Yellowstone, Jackson is not the best place to stay. It%26#39;s good for GTNP but you%26#39;ll on the road a very long time for your Yell visits. An average speed of 25 mph is common in these parks if your not stuck behind the Buffalo%26#39;s. (One of the reasons to visit though!!). Also the drive between Bryce and Torrey on Ut12 (www.scenicbyway12.com) will take at least 3-4 hours with minor stops.



Have you thought about visiting the Moab area (Arches NP, Canyonlands NP, Dead Horse Point SP) instead. Much closer than GTNP/Yell and also stunning. And why are you renting a RV if you are going to stay 3 days on a houseboat?



I also would not want to skip Zion and Bryce. Fantastic NP%26#39;s so maybe:



Day 1: Arrive Phx and the drive to Sedona



Day 2: Sedona and to GCNP south rim



Day 3: GCNP



Day 4: GCNP-Page (if you hire a boat from Lake Powell



Marina there%26#39;s a nice campground inside Glen Canyon NRA)



Day 5: Houseboat



Day 6: Houseboat



Day 7: Houseboat



Day 8: Drive from Page to Zion (2.5 hours) and see as much as you can by taking the shuttle into Zion Canyon)



Day 9: Drive from Zion to Bryce (2 hours) and see Bryce.



Day 10: Ut 12 to Torrey, see Capitol Reef NP



Day 11 and 12: The drive to Jackson ?????



As you can see, not much time left and not much time for Zion and Bryce.



Maybe rearrange your schedule and what time of year are you coming? Keep in mind that pu a RV can take time, sometimes they only allow to pu the rv after a nights sleep and you%26#39;ll have to clean the RV before returning. Just fyi of course. I have nothing against driving with a RV.



Tet

No comments:

Post a Comment