Monday, April 23, 2012

still undecided about accommodations

I%26#39;m still struggling between a discounted rate at the JW Marriott and Westin Kierland Resort. My husband wants to stay with Marriott due to price point but I am concerned after reading all the service and location issues. It is the last leg of our trip and we just want to relax. We will have a car but not quite sure how far other restaurants, not chains, will be. If you%26#39;ve experienced either of these or heard any feedback, please pass it on. I want to feel comfortable with our choice,



still undecided about accommodations


I don%26#39;t know what issues you are reading about the Marriot but its a great place. The pool is very nice with a lazy river. The location is great easy on off the two freeways. Its just right off the 101/I-17 right on Deer Valley Road. Its in North Phoenix so its a little out of the way from the city center but easy driving on the highways. I can%26#39;t comment about the Westin never stayed.





How much service are you expecting? Someone to do everything for you? Sounds like you ned a vacation from your research. No seriously you get burnt out before your trip its a common thing actually. LOL I planned a 28 day trip to Australia for 4 people in 05 and got burnt out before getting there. It does happen. I happen to agree with your hubby on this one though for the price and what you get its a good place to stay. I plan vacations for my friends and coworkers on a regular basis and its time consuming and can be a bit stressful. If you need help just PM me any time.





You%26#39;ve already gotten good feedback from members that actually post on here and have stayed at individual places. Not just the one time complainers. I am not sure what more you are asking for. Don%26#39;t stress about ';bad'; reviews or minor complaints. Some are legit others take with a grain of salt.





It will drive you batty before you ever leave. I can tell you from personal experience that the beds in the Marriot are unbelievably comfortable(and I%26#39;m picky) and the bathrooms well are bigger than my entire room at home. LOL Staff was always friendly and the service at the spa while all spas are over priced it was relaxing and good service.





The Desert ridge Mall is a 5 minute or less drive from the hotel. There are loads of places to eat. And to shop near by. Not to knock the local places but I%26#39;ve always had consistantly good food at places like the Yard House which is awesome at Desert Ridge, Cheese Cake Factory ect.... Both have exellent food and the drinks are awesome, decent prices too.





For ';local'; places you will have to be more specific as to what type you are looking for. Italian, steak , mexican???? And how far you are willing to drive to get to these places.





Hope that helps you out a little for the Marriot.



still undecided about accommodations


If you are looking at the one review at the top the guy complained about everything. No hot water due to a pipe breaking. And Silicone cocking who looks at that. The hotel can%26#39;t help that one. the rest of the reviews are overall great. He called it uneceptional but gave it a 4 star rating. Hummmm....




They are both really nice places. There are restaurants near both of them, mostly chains.




Thanks to both of you for your feedback. What does PM mean in your post dragonflylady? You are absolutely right about overstressing and you don%26#39;t even know me aside from my posts! I know I need to make a choice and let it go. Just wanted from feedback from a native who might know more about the properties. Kierland is booked to capacity and Desert Ridge is full with conferences. I know there will be pros and cons with each. Any other thoughts would be appreciated and I know my mind will be made up tonight. Then on to the restaurant and activity questions...lol..




PM means private message. Click on my screen name and you can see where there is a place to send a message to me.




I appreciate it...I%26#39;ll let you know if I have any other questions...I think I%26#39;m good for now and will most likely stick with Marriott.




Not to stress you out, but I am the same way...way overthinking, but...



IMO, I think you will like Kierland better. Desert Ridge, while I wouldn%26#39;t worry about service issues, is just sort of stuck in the middle of nowhere, and, as you noted, is full of business people attending conferences (it%26#39;s a business hotel), whereas Kierland is a more of a resort experience. Desert Ridge is ALL chain stores %26amp; restaurants...it has big box retailers! And it%26#39;s not even very close to hotel, though that%26#39;s because the parking lots are so huge. If I read you correctly, Kierland is more what you are looking for. It is across an (off the main road) street from Kierland Commons, which is a beautiful place to stroll around, shop %26amp; eat. The stores %26amp; restaurants are not all chains..in fact there is only 1 chain rest (Cheesecake Factory)...well PF Changs, but it originated here. The only way I would suggest DR over Kierland is if you are traveling with kids....




I am traveling with kids...two girls ages 12 and 13..




Well, they might love Desert Ridge, then. The mall has a ';teen zone'; that had lots of shops that cater to young teens, on weekends there is a band or dj that play. There is a movie theater, a huge entertainment/restaurant/bar called Jillian%26#39;s that has bowling, arcade games, etc. It would be a pretty cool place for them to hang out. The Kierland %26amp; the shops there are more upscale %26amp; sophiticated, they might find them boring???? Go with the Marriott, then you can have extra $$$ to have fun with!




My husband and I went to both places this year. We liked the JW so much when we went for a getaway extended weekend during Memorial Day weekend, that we booked two nights there on our way to a family vacation in August before using the timeshare at Westin Kierland. My kids (21 and 15) would definitely have preferred to stay at the JW longer. The Desert Ridge shopping area is much more teenager oriented than Kierland Commons. You don%26#39;t even have to drive or walk to the Desert Ridge shopping area. There%26#39;s a shuttle that picks you up right outside the front door of the hotel and drops you off and then brings you back later. It also goes to the timeshare area. If we had the time, we%26#39;d go back to the JW in an instant. We did not have a single issue both times we were there.

No comments:

Post a Comment