Thursday, April 19, 2012

Trip to LV, want to see GCNP w/limited time

I am traveling to LV on a business trip. I%26#39;m carrying my husband, and we are leaving out early so that we can visit the Grand Canyon.





Our flight arrives in LV late Friday, February 29. My conference starts Monday morning, so that leaves us Saturday and Sunday to site see and get back to Vegas.





Here are some things I would like to know:





1. What hotel should we stay in on Friday evening? We%26#39;ll be checking in around midnight and leaving early (I suppose) on Saturday to go to the canyon. I don%26#39;t want to spend an arm and a leg, but I don%26#39;t want a roach motel either.





2. Should we rent a car and drive? What are my other options? I don%26#39;t want the 10 hour bus tour, but I%26#39;ve read some things about flights/helicopter tours. Are there any tours that include an over-night stay at the canyon?





3. Based on what I read, we shoud visit the South Rim since we have a limited amount of time, right? What do we need to do when we get there? What are the *can%26#39;t miss* things we need to plan for?





4. Where do I find information on hotels? From previous posts, I%26#39;m probably not going to get a hotel inside the park with this short of notice, but is there a website where I can check them out? I%26#39;d like to find more information and call to see if there%26#39;s a cancellation. If I can%26#39;t get a cancellation, where should I stay?





5. Tell me more about food... I like to eat! ;o) Also, my husband and I like to try the local foods. Anything we need to try?





6. How should we dress?





Thanks for all your help!





Vanessa



Trip to LV, want to see GCNP w/limited time


Hi Vanessa



I%26#39;ll try to answer your questions.



1. Hire a car. Find yourselves a hotel close to the a/p. Maybe drive to Boulder City for an hotel along us93. We once stayed at the Best Western Lighthouse Inn and Resort. Easy to find.



2. Hire a car as mentioned. The drive from Boulder City to GCNP app. will be 4.5 hours if no delays at Hoover Dam (worth a stop)



3. Yes, only south rim because north rim will be closed that time of year. For things to do at south rim check: www.nps.gov/grca



4. Check: www.grandcanyonlodges.com for reservations. If booked try Tusayan hotels right at the south entrance of GCNP. Entrance fee is $ 25,-- It%26#39;s a 15 minutes drive from Tusayan to GC Village.



5.There are restaurants in Tusayan but areal treat is El Tovar dining and also good food at the Arizona room near Bright Angel Lodge. Both places are right at the rim. Make a reservation at El Tovar. No reservations are taken for Arizona Room.



6. Dress in layers and a warm jacket if you want to make an evening walk. Can be snow in februari.



Tet

No comments:

Post a Comment