Thursday, April 19, 2012

Reasonably priced hotel/motel near Tucson Electric Park

We%26#39;re coming down to Tucson for a few days in March for spring training. In the past we%26#39;ve stayed at hotels along I-10 near downtown, but with the road construction on the interstate it looks like quite a mess around there. We%26#39;re looking at other places (in safe areas) to stay further south closer to the ballpark. Suggestions will be most helpful! Thanks....



Reasonably priced hotel/motel near Tucson Electric Park


The Red Roof on Irvington (Days Inn and Crossland are also at that corner) and the Holiday Inn on Palo Verde are probably the closest. There%26#39;s also the Quality Inn on Benson Highway. The next closest would be the hotels near the airport.



None of the above are in good neighborhoods though. You wouldn%26#39;t necessarily have to worry about car break-ins any more than being Downtown, but you wouldn%26#39;t be able to walk around much. Although, there%26#39;s not much to walk to around any of these hotels anyway.



The alternative is the Doubletree Reid Park on Alvernon. It%26#39;s a nice place, good neighborhood, and still only about 10 minutes drive from TEP.



hth



Reasonably priced hotel/motel near Tucson Electric Park


Thanks, I%26#39;ll check them out. By the way, off topic, but is the road construction significantly messing up traffic and is it hard to get around with the interchanges closed? Thanks..




I don%26#39;t think so, but I also don%26#39;t live in Marana or use the 10 very often.




The construction normally doesn%26#39;t mess up traffic too bad. Occasionally there will be an accident or disabled vehicle in the construction zone, and things can get pretty backed up then. During rush hours it will be a bit slow, particularly if you need to use the frontage road to access one of the major east-west streets. But if you are just going through the construction zone you will normally have very little slowdown. Traffic moves along at around 55 mph most of the time.




Thanks MikePinTucson, I appreciate everyone%26#39;s help. Just another quick question. If were to stay at a motel right off I-10, say on Grant Road or Congress, is it easy getting around? I know it%26#39;s such a general question, but like getting to restaurants in downtown or north Tucson... Thanks!




If you can get a motel on the east side of I-10 (there may not actually be any on the east side) it will be easy to get around. But the east-west roads under the freeway do get very backed up at all times of the day because of the construction.





Near Congress would be better than Grant Road.




Hi guys! I%26#39;m back.... What is your opinion on staying at the Hampton Inn Airport location, or any of the other hotels at the airport for safety. I%26#39;ve read some posts where cars were broken into quite frequently and was wondering about the relative safety of the airport locations. We%26#39;re mainly going to ballgames at TEP and going south to Bisbee and/or Tombstone sightseeting, eating pretty early and staying in at nights. Thanks again!




I think that you%26#39;ll find the Hampton Inn to be the best choice if you choose to stay near the airport. The fact is, South Tucson is not the greatest neighborhood but if you take reasonable precautions you%26#39;ll be ok. I work a few blocks from the airport and I can tell you that at night police patrol is pretty frequent. Park near the hotel entrance under a lamp. Not much you can do other than that.





Oh ... and I%26#39;ll see you at the park. I noticed the other day, on my way to work, that they were prepairing the practice fields. Good times.




I promise this is my last post....I made reservations at the Clarion Hotel Airport. It worked out best for my budget.





I hope it was a good decision. I%26#39;ve driven myself silly looking at all the various hotels, their locations, looking at the street views on google maps, trying to figure out if it is a safe location. Someone please tell me what you think..... Thanks!




Not sure if you had posted about the airport hotels before, but there was one recently. The hotels are mostly along Tucson Boulevard just north of the airport. It%26#39;s a business area with almost no residential, and isn%26#39;t the best area of town, but it%26#39;s not overly dangerous either. Certainly not a walkable area except between the hotels themselves.



There%26#39;s also almost nothing around them as far as restaurants except fast food, the places in the hotels, and a sushi restaurant on Valencia.



I%26#39;ve never considered crime any more a problem in that area than many others (including the Congress/I-10 area), but I could be wrong. Just use common sense, and you%26#39;ll be okay: take all valuables out. And don%26#39;t worry so much. Just enjoy the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment