Thursday, April 12, 2012

Donkey Rides in GC

Your opinions on the donkey rides down to the GC?





How long return trip?





Ride conmfort?







Kangarooo!



Donkey Rides in GC


There are NO DONKEY rides down to the GC !!!!!!!





There are MULE trips that go to Plateau Point or overnight trips that go to Phantom Ranch.



Donkey Rides in GC


The mule trips are either 7 hours or overnight. They must be booked in advance, depending on time of year tou want to go, as much as a year in advance. They are booked through the lodging concessionaire:



www.grandcanyonlodges.com




Thansk guys -





What is the differnce between a donkey and a mule anyway??





K




Mules are the offspring of a horse and a donkey. They are sterile and cannot reproduce. They are also very stubborn and very, very smart and sensible :-)




A mule has a horse for a mother and a donkey for the father. He is usually what is called a ';mammoth jack'; so is almost as big as the mare. Riding mules are thus the same size as horses; they look alot like horses except they have the long ears and Roman nose of the donkey. And a tail more like a donkey, not full like a horse%26#39;s tail.





They are stronger, tougher, and calmer than horses, so they make better riding animals in rough country like the Grand Canyon. They are also very smart, and can have interesting personalities. Or be quite stubborn.





As far as riding comfort, they feel just like a horse, although they are often less wide in the saddle region (the withers and barrel).




Mules are the size of horses more or less. My 17 year old son and I took the one day trip last year and let me say it was AWESOME!! You can%26#39;t weigh over 200 lbs. I was amazed at how well the mules travel over all types of terrain. I was glad we opted to just do the one day trip because I don%26#39;t think I would have had it in me to get back on my mule the next day. I was definitely sore. It was truly an experience. I%26#39;d go again no question.

No comments:

Post a Comment